Cool things you can do on your mobile cellphone.
I’ll provide links and guides on how to.
Read introduction first. (On compatibility, internet (GPRS/WAP))
Get free downloads (Games, backgrounds, programs, etc)
Chat (Instant Messengers etc.)
Check Email (Gmail, Yahoo! mail, Hotmail)
Telnet / SSH - yes, you can telnet/ssh with your mobile/cellphone!
- SSH & Telnet Floyd – Nice client. Many versions available make it very compatible.
- midpSSH – Another good J2ME client based on Floyd above.
- mutelnet.com. – mostly MIDP 2.0 phones (newer phones)
A common question is how to run mobile/cellphone programs or games from your PC? To test it out or what ever.
How to emulate or run .jar’s on PC/computer. This method can be used to run almost any cellphone application/game from your PC/computer.
The easiest and coolest free emulator for JAR / J2ME / MIDLET / MIDP on your PC/computer is mpowerplayer.
They even have an online emulator that you can use! It’s just a 1MB download for the emulator/player.
So, you can just go to mpowerplayer.com and click “Free download”, then the emulator will download and install automatically!
You can then run any .jar game or chat program or anything using File -> Open…
There will also be an icon in your start menu to start the emulator.
And that is it!
For example: to run MXit right now, use this link MXit PC
If you can’t start mpowerplayer with an error about you needing java: go here to download Java http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html
Here is how to install the player/emulator on your PC/computer so that you can run any .jar/mobile application:Step 1)
- Download the player => sdk.mpowerplayer.com
- Unzip the contents of the .zip file that you downloaded in Step 1) into a folder.
- Create a new file in that folder called something like “start.bat”.
Edit the file (Right Click -> Edit) in notepad or something like that.
And type this in there: java -jar player.jar
Read the Readme.txt file in that folder.
- Open/double click the .bat file you just created to start the emulator!You can then run any .jar file from your computer or from a URL.
One of the easiest free ways to have a JAR / MIDP / MIDLET / J2ME emulator on your PC/computer is to use the Wireless Tool Kit (WTK) from Java.
Here is how to run the emulator:
- Download and install the WTK from java.sun.com
- Download WTK less than 18MB
- Install it. (REQUIRES: Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition (J2SE SDK) 1.3 or higher – if you plan to do actual development, or
Java 2, Standard Edition Runtime Environment (J2SE JRE) if you only plan to run the demo applications.To download the SDK or JRE you want, go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html )
- Run the program from the “Start” menu -> “J2ME Wireless Toolkit ” -> “Run MIDP Application …”
- Choose the .jad file that you want to run! It can be a game or any program (e.g. mxit).
See here for places that you can find some free .jad’s.
(.jad is the phone’s equivalent of .exe) Download the .jad onto your computer just as you would download any normal file.
Search Terms: “jar-emulator download”, “jar emulator”, “cellphone emulator”, “midp emulator”